Toronto-based hip hop artist TVGucci is making a quite a name for himself. Affiliated with Drake’s label OVO Sound, TVGucci is knocking it out of the park with his independent releases. His debut album ‘TLVSD the Series’ is comprised of 11 contrasting gems, after which his latest single ‘I Am’ garnered a lot of attention. With a radio-ready sound and a charismatic persona, TVGucci is continuing the momentum.
1. You’re from Toronto, how do you think living/growing up in Toronto has influenced your music?
Toronto is a part of my life. Toronto is who I am. The struggles I've been through, my music, and my friends are from Toronto – I put all that In my music. I talk about what I’ve been through, what I'm going through, what I want to do and what I'm going to do.
2. How did you decide the title of your album? ‘TLVSD the Series’ is very creative!
I throw my birthday party every year called "Televised". So I decided to make a short form for the word and call my mixtape "TLVSD the Series" based on the name of my annual event. I listed the song titles as episodes instead of tracks.
3. Over time your lyrics (from the original TLVSD single to your most recent single, “I Am”) have grown more upbeat and celebratory in a way. What would you say is the theme of your song “I Am”?
It's about me, my city, where I'm from and who I’m around, but in a bouncy, good and vibrant way. So you could listen to the beat and just enjoy yourself.
4. There is nothing better than having friends in your corner to inspire you and help you make moves in the right direction. How has having Drake as one of your mentors at this point in your career helped steer you in the right direction when it comes to your music?
He is very inspirational because he's had big achievements throughout his career. He's one of the biggest artists in the world and he inspires me to keep going and motivates me to do the same. When you have someone in your corner like that then the sky's the limit.
5. All of the songs on your album ‘TLVSD the Series’, have a very unique sound to them. Every song gives a different vibe. What makes something a TVGucci song to you?
It's a mixture of songs that are a bunch of feelings and emotions, my life and how I am as an artist - unique.
I'm not an artist that is just one dimensional or that's just trap music or that you could put me in a box. I'm an artist. I’ve always said to myself if I was going to rap I was going to be an artist, I didn't want to be stuck in a box of one genre. I want to be able to hit every genre. So that's why ‘TLVSD the Series’ has a lot of different songs and sounds. There's a song for everyone.
6. At this point in your career, given the amount of success you've had, what does success mean to you now?
The success I’ve gotten now brings me to a happy place in my life. I’m striving to be better, do more, see more and get better in the game. I want to be able to show my son that, as a man, you can accomplish your goals. Set your mind to something you love and you should be able to fulfil your dreams. That's one of the main reasons I rap. I could show that if you put your mind to it and set your goals you could achieve it.
7. What do you think you would be doing right now if you had not decided to pursue music?
If I wasn't doing music, I’d still be in the streets doing what I have to do to make ends meet. Just doing what I have to do to make shit work.
Stream I Am - http://smarturl.it/tvgucciiam
Written By @FioreBloom_